Master urban planning - meaning, process and society benefits
We are focused in supporting companies and interdisciplinary teams that develop master urban plans on different administrative levels. We assist them by analysis generation, forecasting, functional zoning, mapping, geocoding and georeferencing etc. From 2014 to the end of 2017, as urban planners and GIS specialists, we were part of interdisciplinary teams, who developed the following master municipal plans in Bulgaria:
001. What is a master urban planning?
Master urban planning provides an answer of the question WHERE. This is to say that master urban planning shows how to locate relevant functions (residential, manufacturing, services, recreation, transportation and communication) in order to reveal the maximum potential of particular region, municipality, city or part of a city and minimize (or completely eliminate) the conflict between the separate functions.
The ultimate goal of master planning is to provide better conditions for each of the functions, mentioned above, without conflicts.
- a factory to pollute the air around his home;
- bars, restaurants, clubs and other services to be an obstacle for sleeping at home;
- transportation that pollutes and creates noise next to his villa/ home.
002. How this will help you?
003. Which are the pillars?
Focus investments in a more rational way in order to increase return on investments.
Boost economic growth - provide solutions of local territorial problems and increase of entrepreneurs.
Protect natural and historical resources followed by monetization in the local economy
Provoke more human resources development opportunities
004. What is the process?
The actual process covers all aspects of life in a particular area - demographic, economic, social sphere, services, manufacturing, nature and resources, ground and underground infrastructures, properties, communications, functions, cultural heritage and many more. Usually a planning covers mid or long term period of time. The main steps are as follows:
Analysis, evaluation and opportunities - demographic analysis, labor market and economic activity, education and healthcare networks.
005. Key development tasks
005.1. Age of the population
005.2. Population by economic activity
005.3. Educational network
005.4. Healthcare network
005.5. Functional zonning
- Forecast on population development and on future economic activities in municipalities, aligned to regional tendencies in 20-years period of time ahead.
- Zoning and spatial planning - zones implementation in relation to all human activities and in combination to all current conditions; consideration and conflicts prevention.
- Zoning balance and building parameters – compliance to zones’ sizes and to allowable building parameters in accordance to each zone specifics.
- Infrastructure planning - development of transportation network, communications and electricity, water, sewage water and gas systems; also development of large infrastructures.